From The Joy of Stats, a documentary hosted
by Hans Rosling, the inventor of the online statsgraph application gapminder:
- One byte of (uncompressed) data is equal to one letter in a book.
- 5 MB of data can store the complete works of Shakespeare.
- 10 Peta bytes (one million GB) are recorded every second by the world's largest particle accellerator.
- 6 Exabytes (1000 Peta bytes) is the amount of data you get when you sequence the genome of every single person
- In 2009 the internet added up to 500 Exabytes, and in one year it doubled to more than 1 Zettabyte.
- One billion Google searches are executed every day.
- The average person in an entire lifetime is exposed to 100 million words in conversation.
Multiply this by the amount of people in the world and you have the amount of words that Google has
available at any one instance of time.
In the book Ever since Adam and Eve, Potts and Short describes what
happens in the world every minute:
- 1 million human eggs are ovulated
- 60000 men ejaculate
- 260 births occur
- 21 infants under the age of one die, mostly of malnutrition
- one woman dies from pregnancy, childbirth, or abortion
- 40 abortions are deliberately induced.
From various sources:
- It takes 1000 years to create 2 cm of soil
- All the gold ever mined on earth would only fill 3 olympic size swimming pools.
- The average depth of the ocean is 3.2 Km
- It takes one million carbon atoms to span the diameter of one hair
- The nucleus is relative in size to an atom as the apple is to the earth
- The supercomputer can calculate 1015 floating operations per second
- The Challenger has covered 230 million km, voyager 1 so far has travelled 17.4 billion km.
- 99% of our cells are bacterial
- Over the last 30 years, 30% of the animal species have been wiped
- Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your
car could go straight upwards. (Fred Hoyle, 1979)
- One handful of earth contains more organisms than all the people that
have ever lived on this planet.
- 3/4 of all animal species are insects
- 1/3 of all insect species are beetles
- Year in which the world's population reached
- 1 billion: 1804
- 2 billion: 1927
- 6 billion: 2006
- About 300 million cells die in your body every minute
A selection from the book Number
Crunch by John S. Croucher, ISBN
- Proportion of women worldwide with naturally blonde hair: 2%
- Proportion of US shoppers who turn right after entering a store:
- Sum of the numbers on a roulette wheel: 666
- Proportion of the world's precious opals produced in Australia:
95%. Black opals: 99%
- Number of different species of mosquito: about 2700
- Average time a cockroach can live without a head: 7 days
- Highest recorded flight of a bird (Rupell's vulture): 11.3 km
- Number of species of ant in the world: about 8000
- Number of dust mites on a typical bed mattress: 100,000 -
- Percentage of bird species that are monogamous: 90%
- Normal length of a human male's flaccid penis: 7.5 - 11.5 cm
- Length (not depth) of a human female's vagina: 7 - 11 cm
- Proportion of men who are sexually active at age 80: 12%
- Average lifetime of a blood cell: 120 days
- Length of Uluru (the world's biggest monolith), NT, Australia: 3.6
km; max width: 2.4 km; height: 348 m
- Reported emails received each day by Bill Gates: 4 million
- Number of times healthy young men break wind each day: 14-25;
- Number of neurons in a guman cerebral cortex: 25 billion
- Proportion of all living organisms in the world that are bacteria:
- Estimated deaths worldwide from the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic:
- Number of different chemical components in an average cup of
coffee: over 1000
- Estimated number of stars in the Milky Way: over 100 billion;
Number we can see with the naked eye: 3000
- Weight of the average smell: 760 nanograms
- Number of planets that rotate clockwise: 1 (Venus)
- Estimated age of the universe: 13.7 billion years (age of mankind:
100,000 - 250,000)
- Time it takes for sunlight to reach Pluto: over 5 hours
- Proportion of total weight of the solar system that is due to the
- Thickness of ice that covers Antarctica: about 2 km
- Reported number of lines of code in Windows XP: about 40 million
- Proportion of dry air that is
- nitrogen: 78.08%
- oxygen: 20.95%
- argon: 0.93%
- all other gasses: 0.04%
- Proportion of oxygen required of all living things on Earth that is
provided by algae: 70%
- The number of edible foods for humans that will never go bad: 1
- Proportion of marriages that survive news of an affair: 50 %
- Proportion of surveyed Australian women who were unaware that they
can become pregnant on only 2 days each month: 94 %
- Time taken for French student Alex Lemaire to calculate the 13th
root of a 100-digit number using mental arithmetic: 3.62 seconds; The
13th root of a 200-digit number: 513 seconds